I / Thou Liz Roche Company
DDF Company in Residence
A captivating exploration of human connection with live music, dance and song.
08—10 May 2019
I / Thou is a mesmerising dance piece that responds to the work of iconic visual artist Brian O’Doherty, echoing the themes of migration, language and identity.↓ Read more
€25 full price / €20 conc.
Samuel Beckett Theatre
60 mins approx. (no interval)
Share this event
Post-Show Talk: Thurs 9 May
From the show
Liz Roche and co-collaborator, composer Linda Buckley, have created an impressive work that celebrates the immediacy of the present but leaves etchings of ghostly afterimages and sounds... poignant and beautifully sustained.
The Irish Times
I / Thou is a mesmerising dance piece that responds to the work of iconic visual artist Brian O’Doherty, also known as Patrick Ireland. Inspired by O’Doherty’s mix of perfection and playfulness, this work echoes the themes of migration, language and identity that are ever present in his work – particularly in his wall painting series One, Here, Now, created for Sirius Arts Centre, Cobh in the late nineties and restored again in 2018.
The result is a beautifully compelling performance exploring the everyday intimacies that form our connection to our surroundings and to each other. The moving body is set in distilled landscapes of sound, colour and light, creating a world of possibilities in which, even if for a moment, we can transcend individuality.
Featuring a specially commissioned score, I / Thou brings together world-class performers and creative collaborators including composer Linda Buckley, set designer Joe Vanek and lighting designer Stephen Dodd. This is the first chance to see this exquisite piece in Dublin, following its premiere at the Cork Opera House in September 2018.
- Choreographer Liz Roche
- Dancers Sarah Cerneaux, Kevin Coquelard, Miguel do Vale, Gloria Ros Abellana, Ailish Maher, Jack Webb
- Singers Robbie Blake, Suzanne Savage, Vivienne Hassell (TBC)
- Cellist Ilse de Ziah (TBC)
- Composer Linda Buckley
- Set & Costume Designer Joe Vanek
- Lighting Designer Stephen Dodd
- Production Manager Lisa Mahony, Sebastian Pizarro Olivera
- Stage Manager Lisa Krugel
- Company Manager Moyra D'Arcy
- Associate Producer Aisling O’Brien
- Creative Producer Catherine Nunes
- Digital Communications Noelia Ruiz
- Photographers Luca Truffarelli, Clare Keogh
Co-produced by Cork Opera House and Liz Roche Company. Commissioned by Cork Opera House in partnership with Sirius Arts Centre's One Here Now; The Brian O'Doherty/Patrick Ireland Project 2018.