Rosas danst Rosas Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker / Rosas
Irish Premiere. Dublin Dance Festival in partnership with the Abbey Theatre.
Witness an undisputed and unforgettable masterpiece of contemporary dance.
18—19 May 2019
In 1983, Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker firmly put her newly formed dance company on the map with Rosas danst Rosas. An international breakthrough, it became a benchmark in the history of postmodern dance and is regarded as one of the great artworks of the late 20th century.↓ Read more
€13 – €40
Concession rates available
on the Abbey Stage
95 mins (no interval)
Share this event
** SAT 18 PERFORMANCE SOLD OUT **
Sat 18 May
Sun 19 May
From the show
Riveting and exhausting, fascinating and relentless, brilliant and tedious, it is a mesmerizing exploration in synchronicity, patterning and rhythm.
The New York Times
Rosas danst Rosas remains confrontational, retaining its considerable power to baffle, frustrate and intrigue.
In this performance, the radical project to fuse minimalism and expressionism achieves its most articulate and empassioned embodiment.
In 1983, Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker firmly put her newly formed dance company on the map with Rosas danst Rosas. An international breakthrough, it became a benchmark in the history of postmodern dance and is regarded as one of the great artworks of the late 20th century.
Abstract movements form the foundation of this rigorously structured piece for four female dancers, in which repetition plays a leading role. Undeniably feminine, the ferocity of the movement is countered by small, everyday gestures: the running of a hand through hair, the sudden turn of a head, the straightening of a blouse.
The dancers openly show signs of fatigue, as they test the limits of the choreography and of their own tenacity. This interplay gives rise to a tension characteristic of De Keersmaeker’s work; where structure contrasts with emotion, aggression with tenderness, and uniformity meets individuality. De Keersmaeker makes a welcome return to the Festival for its 15th edition with the revival of this seminal piece.
- Choreography Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker
- Created by (1983) Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker, Adriana Borriello, Michèle Anne De Mey, Fumiyo Ikeda
- Performers (alternating) Laura Bachman, Anika Edström Kawaji, Laura Maria Poletti, Soa Ratsifandrihana
- Music Thierry De Mey, Peter Vermeersch
- Musicians (Recording) Thierry De Mey (Percussion & Piano), Walter Hus (Piano), Eric Sleichim (Saxaphone), Peter Vermeersch (Clarinet)
- Lighting Design Remon Fromont
- Costumes Rosas
- Rehearsal Director Fumiyo Ikeda
- Artistic Coordination & Planning Anne Van Aerschot
- Technical Director Joris De Bolle
- Costumes Coordinator Heide Vanderieck
- Technicians Jonathan Maes, Sari-Lynn Kerhofs
Produced in 1983 by Rosas & Kaaitheater. Coproduced by De Munt / La Monnaie (Bruxelles), Sadler’s Wells (London), Les Théâtres de la Ville de Luxembourg.